Blog > New Website Launched

New Website Launched

October 2nd, 2008

Well, after squatting on this domain for about a year, I finally decided that I might as well put a website up here again. The website is going to be much more math-oriented this time around since I’m a nerd like that. In that vein, my first entry here will simply be one of the only math-related things that I wrote on the old site (on November 22, 2005):

After hours of thought and consideration, I have come to the conclusion that the way in which math is taught sucks monkey fur.Let us take, for example, a Numerical Methods assignment that I currently have sitting in front of me. One particular question (which is worth a whopping 0.0769% of my final mark) on this assignment requires to me to find eigenvalues of a 3 × 3 matrix for which the characteristic polynomial does not factor.

“But Nathan,” I can hear you say, “that’s simply a matter of plugging numbers into the cubic root formula! What’s your problem, ho?”

And though you are quite correct, allow me to print, in its entirety, said formula:

“But Nathan,” I can hear to chirp up again, “why don’t you just use the QR Algorithm or MATLAB or some other method to find the roots?”

Well, it seems that this route of escape was thought of by the prof, so she specifically states that we are to compare our answer with the one obtained from MATLAB – indicating that we are indeed actually expected to find these roots by hand and get the exact answers – to obtain a whopping 0.0769% of our final mark (actually, considerably less than that – this is only one part of a multi-part question).

“But Nathan,” I hear you say one final time, “why don’t you talk about something interesting? I don’t know what the hell the QR Algorithm is, nor could I care less.”

Shut up, I never talk about math on here, I’ve been generous until now, so let me rant. I’m getting sick and tired of so many courses managing to teach so little, while expecting so much. Why do we have to prove over and over again that we are capable of plugging numbers into longer and longer formulae, while not actually being required to demonstrate any real insight along the way?

So, tell me professors, what is the point of this? And what is the point of us having to draw nine linearizations to complete question #1 on a differential equations assignment? You don’t believe that we know how to do it after the first eight times? Why do you feel the need to ask the same questions over and over again, while giving us nothing really insightful or different on the assignments?

Maybe someday down the line if/when I become a professor I’ll understand (and perhaps even prove) that making assignments ridiculously repetitive and far more tedious than necessary is a fundamental law of the universe which keeps us all in harmony and prevents the Earth from being hurled into the sun. But, barring that realization, I make the following vow to my future students, should I become a professor:

I will (try to) make assignments for my classes (as) interesting (as possible for a math class) and will not ask you to do questions that involve exceedingly gross algebra (unless you all get on my bad side by skipping lectures) for no good reason.

1. Elithrion
    October 6th, 2008 at 01:10 | #1

You could grab Maple, copy-paste the formula and just have it evaluate it at the [a,b,c,d] you want. Assuming that’s not its default algorithm anyway! Although who knows if that was possible back in the dark dreary days of three years ago.

If something looks repetitive and boring to me nowadays I do in fact just resort to Maple. Although I don’t know that most other people are as technologically savvy, so I’m not sure how they cope.

2. C.Risi
    December 1st, 2008 at 15:32 | #2

Are you back next semester? Will you be teaching? Seeing as half the professors seem to be going on sabbatical over the next few years?

C. Risi

p.s. I came across your website from Ph.D comics which had a advertisement to academia.edu, which you had a link to this website. Cool site though!

3. December 1st, 2008 at 23:19 | #3

Hey Chris,

I’ll be back next semester, but I have no idea what I’ll be doing as far as TAing/teaching goes. I hope to be TAing the 3rd year linear algebra course and spending the rest of my time in the learning centre, but we’ll see where the powers that be put me.

4. July 20th, 2014 at 21:58 | #4

Hello there, You’ve done an excellent job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends.
    I’m sure they will be benefited from this web
    site.

5. July 21st, 2014 at 06:46 | #5

I like wɦat you gսys tend to be up too. Such clever work and exposure!

Keep up the ѕuperb works gys I’ve added you guyys to my own blogroll.

6. July 21st, 2014 at 06:48 | #6

It plays with humanity’s primitive psychological fears of being in the
    dark, being lost, and being alone. It was now a “portfolio” company, one that
    was held, first and foremost, only to be soon sold, as “inventory. Manuscript Page #64: “Hartman Watches Wake Fall” is received automatically during the cut scene after finding Barry.

7. July 21st, 2014 at 13:41 | #7

For newest information you have to pay a quick visit web and on world-wide-web I found this
    web site as a best web page for newest updates.

8. July 21st, 2014 at 23:42 | #8

Make sure you have a copy of the person’s driver’s license or passport and that your safe call has that information on hand in case
    you need to use it. In a reality based BDSM Relationship it
    is a give and take, and it is a mixing together of what both partners need.
    Most of the ad for the white people fairly run-of-the-mill personal ads, apart from insisting on Asia.

9. July 22nd, 2014 at 00:14 | #9

Now I am ready to do my breakfast, when having my breakfast coming over again to read additional
    news.

10. July 22nd, 2014 at 08:35 | #10

Wow that was strange. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but
    after I clicked submit my comment didn’t show up. Grrrr…

well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyhow, just wanted
    to say superb blog!

11. July 22nd, 2014 at 21:36 | #11

I will immediately seize your rss feed as Ican not find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or
    e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Please let me recognise in order that I may subscribe.

Thanks.

12. July 22nd, 2014 at 22:28 | #12

You create a deployment task sequence that includes a Use Toolkit Package task.

To close, here are a number of other programs she mentions that are available for free.
    These types of uses are equipped for transforming any
    OST computer file on much of the circumstances as well
    as which makes it understandable.

13. July 23rd, 2014 at 02:57 | #13

What the Forex robots do is to indicate the ups and downs of the market
    to the investor. More and more traders have been using the forex market to make a good amount
    of money. One of the things to look for in a winning system is a course or service that goes over every aspect of trading you need to be successful.

14. July 23rd, 2014 at 04:59 | #14

you’re really a good webmaster. The web site loading pace is amazing.
    It seems that you are doing any distinctive trick.
    Also, The contents are masterpiece. you’ve
    performed a magnificent activity on this subject!

1. No trackbacks yet.