Blog > LaTeX Poster Template

LaTeX Poster Template

August 14th, 2009

This week I presented a poster at the Mathematics in Experimental Quantum Information Processing Workshop at the Institute for Quantum Computing in Waterloo, Ontario, and I will admit that I had a few fleeting moments when I was considering using Microsoft Publisher to create it. I couldn’t find any poster templates in LaTeX that I liked, and frankly LaTeX just seemed like it wouldn’t work well for something moderately graphics-heavy like a poster.

However, as it always does, the desire for easy-to-integrate mathematics won the battle and it wasn’t long before I was scrounging the depths of the tenth page of Google search results for LaTeX poster templates. Eventually I did find a template that I was able to modify to my liking, and this is the result:

LaTeX Poster

Since I’m such a nice guy, you can download the .tex and .sty files used to create the poster here if you would like to. The poster is based on the template created by the Computational Pysics and Biophysics Group at Jacobs University with the following minor modifications:

• Four column landscape layout instead of three column portrait layout.
  • Changed from A0 (33.1″ × 46.8″) paper to 48″ × 36″ poster paper (which is a bit more standard in my experience).
  • Removed the blue border around the poster (I hate borders, and it’s cheaper to print this way!).
  • Used a serif font rather than a sans-serif font for small (i.e., non-header) text.
  • Messed around with the header.
  • Moved the university logo from the header down to the “Acknowledgements” section.

Update [April 12, 2011]: I have updated the template (thanks John Mahoney and Fei) so that, among other things, the issue with summation and integration signs not scaling properly is now fixed.

Update [April 25, 2011]: The template has been updated again – it now includes 68 common color definitions in the style file as a workaround for the fact that this template doesn’t play nicely with the colordvi package. Thanks to Nishan Mudalige for the fix!

Update [August 4, 2011]: Nishan has been nice enough to provide another update for the template, which causes automatic figure numbering to work properly (you had to enter figure numbers manually in the past).

Download:

1. Davide
    September 19th, 2009 at 16:44 | #1

“Such nice guys” definitely rock. Thanks and keep it up.

2. banuc
    September 23rd, 2009 at 19:48 | #2

Saved my life… Special thanks to you for my poster. I think I started to like LaTeX after all =)

3. Dennis
    October 8th, 2009 at 12:21 | #3

Thanks Nath for making this template available. I definitely had to use LaTex for my poster and needed a template that was not out-of-date. Please keep up the good and generous work.

4. Ludovic Kuty
    October 13th, 2009 at 06:54 | #4

Really interesting. Thanks for that. Looking forward to making mine.

5. Pavan
    November 9th, 2009 at 18:43 | #5

Thanks mate. I hope this makes my poster stand out. Feels good to be out of the clutches of MS for all word/document processing needs.

6. Ben
    November 16th, 2009 at 19:17 | #6

YES! Just finished up my poster using this template. Looks fantastic printed.

Many, many thanks.

7. Pavan
    November 20th, 2009 at 11:05 | #7

Buddy, the first poster I made with Latex got me the best poster prize in a small meeting (I hope there was more to it than just the word processing tool I used). This cements my trust on everything Latex.

8. sudha
    December 23rd, 2009 at 01:54 | #8

hai, nice to see these zip files. i just want to know how to change the title? its there in the head.pdf but if i want to keep my title how can i do that? looking forward for ur reply. i need this information very urgently. Thanks in advance.

9. Sriram
    February 22nd, 2010 at 15:27 | #9

Hi, Thanks for the template. It was very useful

10. Yongchao
    March 4th, 2010 at 03:36 | #10

It is really very nice. When I use it, I meet some problem like this
    Latex error: file ‘head’ not found.

When I comment \usetheme{confposter}, it can be compiled!

What is wrong?

11. Tina
    March 25th, 2010 at 21:35 | #11

I was wondering, if I wanted to make a two-panel poster, where the main title would be on one panel (or one half of the whole poster), how can I do that? Thanks! =)

12. rhobslein
    June 20th, 2010 at 07:57 | #12

Fantastic template! Thanks very much to you and the Jacobs Uni people!

13. jsievert
    August 21st, 2010 at 15:59 | #13

Thanks for posting this template. You have saved me hours and hours of frustration!

14. Dean
    October 20th, 2010 at 06:41 | #14

Thanks for the template. I have a problem with the integral operator (and sum) font size being small. Any ideas on how to fix it?

15. Wilfred
    November 28th, 2010 at 22:42 | #15

Thanks for the poster. I almost went with Adobe Illustrator and was going to paste math symbols via pdf print outs until I saw this. You’re a life saver.

16. Haley
    December 14th, 2010 at 15:47 | #16

@Dean

If anyone else has the problem with too-small integral and sum symbols, here is my lame workaround: use \Sigma for the sum and use the package wasysym to get \int correctly sized. I wish I knew a more elegant solution!

17. John Mahoney
    December 17th, 2010 at 18:49 | #17

Nathaniel,
    Thank you for posting your template. I’ll be using a modified version at an upcoming conference.

One small suggestion:
    Rather than using \rmfamily all over in the main tex file, you can specify this in beamerthemeconfposter.sty:

% set the fonts
    \setbeamerfont{section in head/foot}{series=\bfseries}
    \setbeamerfont{block title}{series=\bfseries}
    \setbeamerfont{block alerted title}{series=\bfseries}
    \setbeamerfont{frametitle}{series=\bfseries}
    \setbeamerfont{frametitle}{size=\Large}
    \setbeamerfont{block body}{series=\rmfamily} %%% Here is the fix!

Cheers
    -John

18. Rajesh
    December 18th, 2010 at 12:25 | #18

Thank you for uploading such a nice script. However I have a wishlist. If you could provide an optional column separator, similar to what tabular enviorenment has, then it will be good while separating columns and guiding the view either row-wise or columnwise.

19. Fei
    March 10th, 2011 at 23:51 | #19

@Haley
    Please try putting \usepackage{exscale} right after the \usetheme{confposter}.

20. dan
    March 14th, 2011 at 14:30 | #20

Thanks @Fei I had the same problem, works like a charm :). (I do get a bunch of missing font warnings but the output looks fine sooo…)

21. raquel
    April 10th, 2011 at 15:05 | #21

you are so cool for providing all this resources!! :) Thank you!

22. Wei
    April 26th, 2011 at 10:45 | #22

Hi,
    Thanks for posting this. However, I am having trouble compiling it with my TeXnicCenter. It complains that:
    =======================
    “(C:\Program Files\…\ifvtex.sty”)latex.exe: GUI framework cannot be initialized.
    I couldn’t open file name ‘…\poster.aux’
    =======================
    Anybody knows what the problem is?

Thanks.

23. April 26th, 2011 at 11:55 | #23

@Wei – See the section titled “TexnicCenter compatibility” on this page.

24. Jaime
    June 22nd, 2011 at 06:02 | #24

Nathaniel,
    Thanks for providing the template. How can incorporate a logo by the title? I would appreciate your help.
    Jaime

25. sammuel
    November 2nd, 2011 at 08:54 | #25

Hi,

I met a trouble during the compilation of latex poster, an error message appears ” latex error : file ‘head’ not found

Sincerely,

sammuel

26. raja
    November 30th, 2011 at 03:03 | #26

27. Pei-Wen Tsai
    January 11th, 2012 at 11:01 | #27

Hi,
    How to change the serif font into a sans-serif font?
    Thanks!

28. Kate
    January 30th, 2012 at 19:24 | #28

Hello, I really like the format of the poster, but I want to put a logo on the top right corner, How can I do that? I failed to that.

29. Nishan Mudalige
    February 13th, 2012 at 00:42 | #29

@Kate

To add a graphic to the top RIGHT corner, try the following code

\title{ \parbox[c]{38in}{Title_of_Poster}
    \parbox[c]{6in{\includegraphics[width=5in]{graphic_name}} }

You can play around with the widths of the parboxes until you get the right fit.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

-Nishan

30. February 22nd, 2012 at 19:27 | #30

I’m finishing my second poster made using this template. It’s the best thing for the job. Thanks!

31. Qiang
    April 2nd, 2012 at 16:05 | #31

It is not working. I need to add logo as well.@Nishan Mudalige

32. April 17th, 2012 at 15:23 | #32

You template is a very nice one!

There is one thing I want to say. If you use *caption* package, the figure number won’t show. So you’d better not to use it.

33. Student
    April 23rd, 2012 at 16:31 | #33

I am new to latex and have used it to write a university report for which it has been great. As part of my report I also need to produce an A0 size poster which is how I cam across this template. However being new to Latex I am having trouble trying to install this template for use. Any help would be most appreciated.

34. __t_i_m_o_t_h_y__
    May 14th, 2012 at 20:45 | #34

Thank you, I am trying to create a template for a checklist for the Beechcraft Baron (airplane). I think I can modify what you have.

thx

35. Jo
    July 14th, 2012 at 10:32 | #35

Thank you so much for posting this, Nathaniel, you’ve saved me! :-)

36. Nate
    October 30th, 2012 at 08:56 | #36

Thanks for posting this! I received comments on how nice it looked and directed people to your template.

37. Adam
    November 19th, 2012 at 17:52 | #37

Could someone tell me how to change the size of the text, i.e. adjust the font size just of the text in each column?
    Thanks for making this available to use. It’s really great!

38. April 12th, 2013 at 19:16 | #38

Hi Nathaniel,
    Thanks for this – it’s a wonderful template. I made a prize-winning poster in the 48×36 inch size, now i’m trying to re-print it in 36×24 inch format to hang in an existing frame. I realize I’ll have to mess with the layout since the aspect ratio is different between the two sizes, but how can I fix the monstrous margins that appear when i change the sizes to the smaller dimensions? Try changing the width/height in your example file…you’ll see the large spaces i’m referring to.

39. Beni
    April 30th, 2013 at 22:54 | #39

Hi did you figure out how to place the logo on the top besides the title? Your help will be much appreciated.

Beni

40. sophia
    August 6th, 2013 at 12:53 | #40

This really nice of you that you shared your experience of poster presetation.

I am going to do my poster presentation in August.

thnx

41. Sergey
    September 2nd, 2013 at 08:55 | #41

Amazingly beautiful poster. Clean and neat. Thanks for sharing the code, I am gonna use your template. Very much appreciated!

42. September 25th, 2013 at 07:25 | #42

Gorgeous poster. Just found you while looking for LaTeX templates.

43. David
    October 23rd, 2013 at 16:42 | #43

Thanks a ton for this template – I had a very nice poster in no time thanks to you!

44. October 24th, 2013 at 15:39 | #44

Just wanted to thank you for putting this together. Far and away the best LaTeX poster template I’ve come across. I thought you might enjoy seeing what other people had done with it, so here’s my poster:

45. Kristen
    November 6th, 2013 at 13:23 | #45

I’ve used this poster template in the past, and it helped me so much! However, I’m trying to use it again and it won’t run. It gives me the error:

! Use of \beamerposter doesn’t match its definition.
    Package: \beamerposter @d
    ate. v.\beamerposter @version. \beamerposte…
    l.26 ….\beamerposter@version. \beamerposter@msg}

Help if you can please!

46. Chin
    November 12th, 2013 at 15:59 | #46

Thank you very much for posting this template. It came really nice. But I want to reduce the size of the title by a little, since I need little more space. How can I do that?

47. david
    January 18th, 2014 at 12:15 | #47

I have a problem in running this file…

1.177 \end{frame} ? error appears…

anybody please help me… :(

48. Cameron Clarke
    July 19th, 2014 at 00:27 | #48

@Ryan
    What this custom template does that it so special is that it takes the default template and adds the blank columns of \sepwid = 0.024\paperwidth dimension. This is necessary to increase the size from 46.8 to 48 inches in width.

However you can return this beamer style to a more basic functionality and be able to change widths at will and maintain Nathaniel’s wonderful implementation of color and automatic titles, etc. To do this simply change your call to the usepackage from

“\usepackage[scale=1.24]{beamerposter}”

to instead read

“\usepackage[size=custom,width=106.68,height=91.44,scale=1.24]{beamerposter}”

Where the important values are the new width and height (here I have used 42 inches and 36 inches both converted into centimeters).

Whereas Nathaniel achieves this shift in width by adding white space empty columns between columns it is generally obtainable, while maintaining some whitespace whether from empty columns or not, by using the custom dimensions field in the \usepackage call for the general beamerposter style.

Also, note that you will want to change the parameter ” \hspace{0.5in}\begin{beamercolorbox}[wd=47in,colsep=0.15cm]{cboxb}\end{beamercolorbox}” on line 211 of Nathaniel’s new style file. The important number is 47in, which you want to change to “\newlinewidth”. \newlinewidth is a variable we must define, so somewhere above the template definitions add some code that goes somthing like:

\newlength{\newlinewidth}
    \setlength{\newlinewidth}{\paperwidth}
    \addtolength{\newlinewidth}{-1in}

This will allow you to change the custom width however you want and not worry about that bar being the wrong size.

In conclusion, if you want to change widths you should use the custom width command when calling the beamerposter package and you should be very careful with using, not using, and changing the widths of the empty spacer columns.

Thanks, let me know if I was not clear enough.
    Cameron Clarke

49. Cameron Clarke
    July 19th, 2014 at 00:29 | #49

When I say line 211 that is wrong, it is somewhere in the headline template section though.

50. July 22nd, 2014 at 01:44 | #50

It’s impressive that you are getting ideas from this post as well as from our
    discussion made here.

51. July 22nd, 2014 at 04:24 | #51

You can go for contemporary styles as well as more traditional designs, to
    suit your home. June and July are the most popular months for moving.

Many have enjoyed the colorfulness metal art brings to their rooms and the sturdiness it can have.

1. September 21st, 2011 at 19:54 | #1